Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.
60109343

Our previous GM recently resigned and so now an Interim GM

Customer Question

Our previous GM recently resigned and so now an Interim GM has been assigned to our branch. There was a letter that was submitted by some employees to the Corporate office that endorses me to be the GM. The interim-GM talked to me twice and in both times his demeanor and the words he used was pushing me to admit that I "solicited" the signatures to be the GM. He was forcing me to admit something I did not do!
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Good evening and welcome. I am sorry to hear about this issue with the interim GM. If I may ask, what exactly is your question regarding this situation?

I very much look forward to helping you on this matter.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is pushing me to admit to something i did not do harrassment? i like to know if i have a case for harrassment. this interim GM has a pet in the company a gal who have just worked for 2 months (yet to be regular employee) but he recommended her for the position. I was made to report to this gal on day-to-day operations when i used to and my job description says that iam directly reporting to the GM. I am afraid the way he treats me has a relationship with him actually trying to discriminate me cause he prefers his "pet".

Thank you for clarifying. It may be "harassment" in the dictionary sense of the word, since it is unwelcome conduct, but it is not illegal harassment. Harassment is only illegal if the conduct relates directly to a legally protected trait, such as race or religion. Things like yelling racial slurs at an employee would be actionable harassment. But what you describe is more accurately described as company politics. Company politics can be frustrating, even downright infuriating, but these sorts of things do not violate the law or give rise to any legal basis for a lawsuit. They are things that can only be dealt with on an interpersonal level--the legal system will be of no assistance.

So, all you can really do here is attempt to reason with the interim GM that you did not engage in the conduct you have been accused of. You are not in a position of legal leverage, and this is not a case where the best defense is offense.

I hope that you find this information helpful and am genuinely sorry if it is not what you were hoping to hear. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.