Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.
60109343

I dismissed my office manager April 15,2015 talk to myself

Customer Question

I dismissed my office manager April 15,2015 for abusive talk to myself and staff. UP UNTIL THIS TIME FOR 17 MONTHS, she was given the daily income, checks, and cash, to deposit in bank. I became apprehensive about her possibly not putting the cash into the bank and had a bookkeeper check back to see if all cash had been deposited. Sure enough she had not deposited over $141,000. What should I do? I called her about her taking this cash and she threatened to blackmail me if I pursued any action against her. I also must add she had access with a key to my safedeposit box and took all my gold coins valued at $250,000. This person and I did have a personal relationship up until I let her go.What can I do do to correct this problem?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question.

First and foremost this is a criminal matter, and as such, should be reported to the local police. The police will investigate and the DA can initiate a criminal prosecution through which this employee will be forced to return what she stole. The fact the employee threatened blackmail is also something that can be reported to the police, and this is also a crime.

It's impossible to say whether you have any exposure to civil claims that this employee might bring because you have not included sufficient facts, but the filing of criminal charges will not operate to bar this employee from asserting a civil claim against you if there is some basis for it. That is entirely separate from the crimes they have committed, and just because someone has committed a crime does not mean they somehow waive other rights they may have regarding unrelated matters.

I hope that you find this information helpful. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.