Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
Experience:  Employment Law Expert
11068102

Is it true you have to have worked 5 of last 10 years to get

Customer Question

Is it true you have to have worked 5 of last 10 years to get regualer disabilaty?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Further, if you get a message asking if you want to do additional services like a telephone call that message is automatically generated by the website and is not sent from me. I, like most of the experts in the Legal categories, do not do telephone calls due to issues with State Bar rules and other concerns.

That's not exactly true, but it's very close. Social Security Disability isn't based on "years worked" but on number of credits accumulated by working and those can vary based on your age.

Essentially if you are over the age of 30 you must have worked at least 20 "quarters" of the the last 40 quarters prior to the occurrence of the disability. That's a little different than 5 of the last ten years since it keys off of the date of the onset of the disability as opposed to any other date and it requires completion of "quarters". If you were to bounce around from job to job and always stop working before you complete a quarter then theoretically you could work for more than five years out of the last ten but never accumulate enough quarters to qualify.

Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

If you need further info, there is a good explanation of the quarter system at this webpage: http://www.specialneedsalliance.org/the-voice/work-history-requirements-for-social-security-disability-insurance-2/

If your question has been answered completely then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work.

Of course, please feel free to ask any follow up questions in this thread.