Delta-Lawyer
Delta-Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  In-House Counsel & Litigator
12711280

I've been asked to quit after 26 years. I'm 62 years old. My

Customer Question

I've been asked to quit after 26 years. I'm 62 years old. My work reviews are good.
The issue comes down to complaints that I believe are exaggerated or unsubstantiated.
I don't think we will be able to work this out.
Can hiring representation get me a more favorable exit package.
Right now I have no intentions of quitting.
Thanks, Rick *******
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Delta-Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

Rick, the answer to your question is likely yes. Moreover, you may be the subject of age discrimination here as well - which is prohibited by federal law. By hiring an attorney in your area, you may be able to leverage them into a more attractive exit package by way of the threat of a civil law suit in federal court - which seems like a viable option here. In essence, hiring an attorney helps give you two bites out of the apple...(1) you may be able to leverage a better exit, and (2), if not, then you will already have an attorney in the wings to help file an EEOC complaint as well as the resulting federal law suit.

So, in short, hiring the attorney (which is not always necessary) would probably really help you in this particular situation...particularly if the employer has any semblance of knowledge about age discrimination suits.

Please rate my answer positively and let me know if you have any other questions.

Best!

Just checking to see if you have any additional questions or comments. I want you to be as comfortable as possible as you move forward. Thanks