JackJD
JackJD, Lawyer
Experience:  I've been in practice 30+ years, concentrating on employment law for 15 years. I enjoy helping people.
64048581

I am a teacher/administrator who found this job through a

Customer Question

I am a teacher/administrator who found this job through a staffing agency. I hope to be hired by this school soon. Tthe staffing agency is requiring me to purchase a policy for 50 per month which is really workman's comp (they do not provide this). Apparently someone sued for injuries and they put out quite a bit. I already have several life insurance policies and a catastrophic policy (loss of limbs, etc) so I don't need any more insurance anyway. they want me to fax a copy of the policies to them to compare. My husband says no. I feel this is private and asking to see private policies is wrong. They also took me off direct deposit to bully me, and my pay check came through the mail 6 days later than anyone else. I don't need another policy. What should I do?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  JackJD replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'll answer your question.

You didn't say what state you are in, but I believe that in all 50 states, workers compensation is the employer's responsibility, not the employee's. In this case, the employer is the staffing agency. Thus, I agree with HR at the school, and it is out of line.
I would complain to the appropriate state agency that handles Workers Comp. Also, I would keep the school informed, since the school also has a contract with the staffing agency, and I'll bet that contract calls for the agency to provide WC insurance.

Have I fully answered your question? If so, please use the buttons below to rate my response.