RESPONDER9
RESPONDER9, Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with more than 20 years of expertise.
71277549

I was placed on administrative leave pending the outcome of

Customer Question

I was placed on administrative leave pending the outcome of an investigation of a verbal altercation which took place in at my place of employment. Two of my employees got into an argument which escalated to name calling and swearing. in my presence. Many members of our staff were present and two of them attempted to calm down the employee whom walked towards the other while I moving towards the other employee to diffuse the situation. I did not step in to break this up until one of the employees started walking towards the other and I escorted the other party out of the area. In hind site, I realize that I should have attempted to stop the argument sooner, but the escalation of argument went from minor to major very quickly. Post the event, I called each member of the staff into my office as well as my second shift supervisor to interview them and take notes to send to our H.R. department. I emailed my notes as well as my own statement to HR as well as an email statement that was sent to me by one of my employees. My question is should I resign from my position which I had planned to do in November of 2015 or wait for the outcome of the investigation. I have another job opportunity which is in the works and I had already indicated to my boss that I would be leaving the organization prior to this incident. I want to leave on good terms and I do not want to go back to my place of employment as well as not having the potential stigma of being terminated on my record. Need Advice George Sheffield(###) ###-####**@******.***
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  RESPONDER9 replied 1 year ago.

Hello George and thank you for your question. I am very sorry to see you are encountering such a situation. Unfortunately Georgia, as you likely know, is an employment at will state which means you may be fired for no reason at all. An investigation may lead anywhere and sometimes innocent folks are disciplined. There is no definite legal answer here so if you feel termination may be the outcome, it is possible you might collect unemployment compensation, if needed. If you quit, there is a high probability unemployment compensation would be denied. So you might consider this in your decision. I hope this helps and ask for your positive rating after reading this or the service will not pay me for my work.

Expert:  RESPONDER9 replied 1 year ago.

Hello.

You've had some time to review my answer, and I am sending you this follow-up to determine if you require further assistance with your matter. I believe I have answered your question to the best of my abilities. I truly enjoy helping others with my knowledge and experience, and I believe I provide a valuable service. If you agree that my response was of value to you, please support my endeavor to share my knowledge by providing a positive rating; these allow me to continue to serve customers. Providing a positive rating will not cost you any additional charge, but it will permit the website to credit me with answering your question. Otherwise, the website does not credit me with answering your question and keeps your payment unless you request a refund because the website charged you the full value of your question at the time answer was provided. Thanks.