Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience
10285032

I am being denied employment at the department of sanitation

Customer Question

I am being denied employment at the department of sanitation I passed the written test in 2007 was in the waiting list since then. I took the training in floyd Bennett field and passed the driving test to operate sanitation vehicles. I am being held back because I put that I have emphysema or any Copd. I have a letter stating that from a pulmonary doctor. The last class starts in October which I hope you can help me be in. Thank you
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Unfortunately, legally you had only 300 days to file a complaint about discrimination based on your disability and you had only limited time to file any appeal of not being selected under NY law. If you missed that time limit to file, I am sorry to say no lawyer can do anything to help. You would have to take the test again NOW and get on the new list and then if denied you have to file within the proper time to make your discrimination claims and then an attorney could help.