Maverick
Maverick, Lawyer
Experience:  20 years professional experience
16823287

Tina, I recently found out that I am paid way less than my 2

Customer Question

Hi Tina, I recently found out that I am paid way less than my 2 male coworkers. We do the same exact job.I advised my manager if she can evaluate my pay to ensure its in line with the other workers. We all started working for the employer within 6 months of each other. She told me she's not changing my pay. I have the heaviest work load but I'm the lowest paid. Do I have grounds to take this complaint to the eeoc?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer (“JA”)!

Please note that:

(A) The information we provide is general information for your educational purposes only;

(B) No attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by communicating with a JA expert;

(C) If you want legal advice, you must consult with a local attorney of your choice in person before acting or deciding not to act based on any information given by a JA expert;

(D) When I feel that I have provided you with a complete answer, I will ask for you to assign a feedback rating so that JA will compensate me for my time. Please wait until then to assign the rating as initially I may still be getting more information from you to formulate a better answer; and

(E) You should not be concerned about any short delays between your questions and my replies. Please know that I answer most questions within the hour if I am signed on. If I am not signed on, then please know that I make every attempt to respond within 24 hours.

Thank you for taking the time to understand how this site works. By continuing, you confirm that you accept, understand and agree to these terms.

ANSWER:

The essence of sex/gender discrimination is unequal treatment on the basis of sex. The treatment must not simply be different, but also unequal, and therefore unfair. It is sex discrimination to provide different working conditions, salaries, hiring, promotion or bonus criteria to women and men.

SO, based on what your have stated, yes it appears that you have sufficient grounds to file an EEOC complaint.

Here is a link to help you get started.

ALSO, a better option may be to file a complaint under the The Equal Pay Act {EPA}.

EPA requires that men and women in the same workplace be given equal pay for equal work. The jobs need not be identical, but they must be substantially equal. Job content (not job titles) determines whether jobs are substantially equal. If there is an inequality in wages between men and women, employers may not reduce the wages of either sex to equalize their pay.

An individual alleging a violation of the EPA may go directly to court and is not required to file an EEOC charge beforehand. The time limit for filing an EPA charge with the EEOC and the time limit for going to court are the same: within two years of the alleged unlawful compensation practice or, in the case of a willful violation, within three years. The filing of an EEOC charge under the EPA does not extend the time frame for going to court.

If this answers your question, please assign a feedback rating so JA will compensate me for my time.

If you are not satisfied with the answer, I would appreciate knowing why so that I can try to clear up any misunderstanding that may have taken place.

You may request me in the future on new and unrelated questions by beginning the question with "THIS IS FOR MAVERICK".

Thank you for using Just Answer.