Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience
10285032

I have a prson in Lousianna that owes me a paycheck and

Customer Question

I have a prson in Lousianna that owes me a paycheck and commission about 30K.
I have it in writing by there lawyer can you help . I am in NY
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

What is the specific information you are seeking from us?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a person in Louisiana that owes me a paycheck and commission (its been over a year). I have it in writing from there lawyer. I live in NY. How do I move forward to get paid. They are ignoring me

Thank you for your reply.

You would have no choice now but to sue them for breach of contract in Louisiana courts to seek the payment. You have to sue in the district court in the parish where they reside and would have to use a local attorney in that LA Parish to do so. You can find one at the same sites used by other attorneys, http://www.hg.org or http://www.lexmundi.com. If you were an employee and this is commission as part of wages, you only have 2 years from the date it was due to file suit under wage law, so you need to file your suit quickly or you would lose your claim. If this is a breach of contract claim then the statute of limitations (prescription period as LA law calls it) is 10 years from date of breach to sue.