Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

I was recently fired from my company in Florida. Upon my re

Customer Question

I was recently fired from my company in Florida.
Upon my hire I was forced to sign a NON-PIRACY, NON-Solicitation and Confidentiality Agreement parts of which are for a period of two years and parts of which appear infinite.
I am allowed to go to a competitive company but I am not allowed to bring any of the clients that I brought with me to my new job, even if they contact me.
Nor am I allowed to contact any of the old/inactive clients they had as long as forty years ago-even if they used to be my clients before I joined this new company. Can they really deny suing me for doing this?the right to make a living by doing this to me?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Non-compete/non-disclosure agreements are enforceable if reasonable in scope and duration. See Florida Statutes Chapter 542 Section 542.335. Agreement is deemed to be reasonable if it last for two years or less.

Based on the information that you have provided here, the agreement that you signed is unlikely to be enforced by the Court because it is NOT reasonable in scope and duration. You cannot be indefinitely prevented from contacting former clients; you cannot be prevented from taking clients that you brought with you; you cannot be prevented from contacting old/inactive clients for 40 years.