Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Employment/Labor Law Litigation
20011183

I was downsized from my job on September 4th (last day) due

Customer Question

I was downsized from my job on September 4th (last day) due to my position being eliminated. Since then I have received several texts asking for information on sessions I facilitated prior to my departure. I do not have the information they are asking for. I told the admin assistant that contacted me. Then I got another text asking me to call. I was on vacation and didn't reply immediately. Now I have the corporate law department chasing me for information. I spoke with them today and reiterated that I don't have the information. It is either in my computer (which they have) and they are too lazy to look for it, or the flip charts and materials have been thrown away when my cubicle was cleaned. Can I stop this harassment? I am in a severance agreement.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 1 year ago.

If your severance agreement contained within it a continuing agreement to assist with any transitional information (and most do), then you'd run the risk of being held to have breached your severance agreement by no longer cooperating.

So, you need to check that agreement very carefully. If there is no provision in there about your continuing cooperation, you'd simply have to tell the employer that you want the phone calls to cease or you'll be forced to contact the police and a lawyer in order to get a restraining/protective order made out against them.

If you have that severance agreement in an electronic form, I'd be happy to review it for you to clarify the answer.

If you have further questions, please let me know. If not, please have a great day and don't forget to rate my service.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Allen, thank you. I am away on vacation today but home mid week. I would like to send you the agreeing at that time if that's ok to have you clarify. Thanks! Sarah

That would be fine, but reviewing documents is an additional service that we provide through a different process as set out by JA.

While I can do that, it's a separate process that I'd have to set up. I could then give you a secured address to send the document to. You can accept that service now. If you'd rather not, that's fine. You can still choose to rate my service.