Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience
10285032

I work federal government of the usa, I am on annual leave

Customer Question

I work for the federal government of the usa, I am on annual leave from Sept 18-oct14, I was offered a job that I plan to take which starts on the 26th of oct, in fact It was confirmed that I have th job. Will I be able to resign and put my 2 weeks notice
during my annual leave time. For example state I am resigning by the 20th of October by October 6th? Or would I have to cancel my annual leave some how and come back to work for the last two weeks instead of just the last 6 days due my vacation ending on the
14th
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

A government employee can put in their resignation while out on annual leave. The annual leave would be allowed to continue and you can resign effective the 20th of October. You do not have to actually come back to work to put in your notice of resignation. You can complete your furlough and put in the notice you are resigning now and still come back to work to finish up.