Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience
10285032

I have a question! I have been with a big bank 6 years. I

Customer Question

I have a question! I have been with a big bank for about 6 years. I have been placed in a hostile situation with a co worker for several month. I have contacted the HR department and the HR department the district manager but nothing happen whatsoever. It escalated to a point where had to remove myself from that branch and temporary transfer into a different branch as I am not able to perform my normal job duties! On top of that the banker is doing unethical sales that impacted customers negatively with collection letters etc. I also informs management and hr about the instance and nothing happen! And the bank has a strict ethics regulations ! At this point I also feel discriminated as everybody I work with is American and I am the only foreign banker.
My friend who was also several years employed with the bank was terminated for a minor issue. This seems to be not a fair work practice and is impacted also my personal life negatively as I have a much longer drive and my husband had t
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

If the bank is treating you differently based on your age/race/sex/disability/NATIONAL ORIGIN, then your first step here is you must file a complaint with the EEOC, because they must investigate your complaint and issue a right to sue letter to enable you to proceed to court.

As far as banking regulation violations, that would need to be reported by you to the WA Attorney General's Office, since they handle unfair and deceptive practice complaints of this nature and also to the WA Department of Financial Institutions (http://www.dfi.wa.gov/). If they are doing this to you though over your national origin and because you are complaining about their unfair practices, you have a claim to pursue and you need to file your complaints first and then engage a local attorney to represent you and protect your rights and protect you from retaliation by the employer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Could I get terminated by filing all these claims?

Thank you for your reply.

If they terminate you for filing the claims, it would be considered wrongful termination for retaliation and that would be a separate suit against them above your other claims above. So they can always terminate an employee, but if they do for you filing the complaints, then you have another legal claim against them.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The service manager who I advised about the situation told me basically to suck it up until my actual store manager returns from her maternity leave! Did I do the right thing from removing myself as my service manager said I did the wrong thing

Thank you for your reply.

By leaving instead of filing your complaint, you did not do the wrong thing if it was done so you could get away from the situation. You still need to file your complaints.