Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.
10707909

I am a 60 year old female and until recently was the chair

Customer Question

I am a 60 year old female and until recently was the chair of a doctoral program at an non profit academic institution. I was told that I was being replaced in my position by a younger male with comparable qualifications to me although I have more experience in the chair position. My employer said I would get a commendation for my performance that this was a political and business decision. Do I have a discrimination case?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.

Hello

This is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard.

Honestly, it is difficult to say if it is a gender or age discrimination matter. I suggest, that if you file with the EEOC, they will fully investigate the hiring and firing practices to make a determination as to your situation. Some of the things they will consider is the salary; if this younger male is being given the same salary or is it hire salary, as well as his educational background - and not just his experience as compared to yours.

When looking at an age discrimination, the EEOC will again look at "patterns" of the employer. In other words, does the employer routinely hire younger employees over retaining the older ones?

And the EEOC will also look at any other reason that you have been released from that position.

I suggest you can file a Complaint with the EEOC and have them do an investigation on both the age and gender discrimination.

Please let me know if you have other questions in this regard. Keep in mind, I can only answer and provide information for what you ask. I do not know what you need to know, unless you tell me. Please rate positive as this is how I get credit for my time and information.

Thank you