TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JD, MBA
9373668

I have a situation that I need to get some advice. I live in

Customer Question

Hello, I have a situation that I need to get some advice. I live in WV and worked in the office of a home care agency for 7 years. The company discharged me this week, stating that the company was going into a different direction. Ok. I understand that WV is an "at will" state and employers have that right. My question lies that does an employer have the right to contact my former clients/families to offer the fact that I'm no longer with the agency and of course, I worked there for 7 years and developed relationships with the clients and families over the years, would ask why I wasn't there and the response would be that they are bound by confidentiality. I feel that this could leave an impression that I had committed some kind of misconduct as this practice hasn't been done for any other employee that has left before me. I didn't have any formal written/verbal disciplinary actions against me at the time of my discharge. Is there anything that I can do against the former employer?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do my very best to answer your legal questions.

What you describe is not unlawful so long as the employer is truthful in everything it tells the clients. To be honest, I do not believe that clients will assume the worst about you. It is standard for employers to not give any details about the circumstances of an employee leaving, and most people understand that. But you are certainly free to contact the former clients yourself to explain your departure if you'd like. That won't be a problem so long as you're truthful as well.

Does that answer your question? Please let me know if you need clarification, as I am happy to continue helping you until you are satisfied.

Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello again. I didn't hear back from you, so I'm just checking in to make sure that you don't need any more help on this issue. If not, then please remember to provide a positive rating to close out this question (and please remember that your positive rating is the only way that I'll get credit for helping you, so I greatly appreciate it). Thank you!