Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Employment/Labor Law Litigation
20011183

I'm retired with contract language that gave me life time

Customer Question

I'm retired with contract language that gave me life time health insurance paid by company. The company could change the insurance company that would be used but had to keep coverage as good or better. New owners now and they are telling us that they are changing insurance companies with less coverage and we don't have a say in that. Is it a law that we have some rights?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 1 year ago.

The law would be contract law, because your rights to continued coverage at the same or better rate was indicated as part of the retirement contract language.

So, their failure to do that is a violation of the contract. Unfortunately, that requires you to take some action against the new owner for breach of contract and THAT requires hiring an attorney to do so.