Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.
60109343

Can my employer require that I go to add to a new duty and

Customer Question

Can my employer require that I go for training to add to a new duty and not compensate me? I will give a background. I took care of student health at a private school for 30 years.
This year we have a registered nurse paid by city I live in from Department of Health.
My job description has never has not been revised. In addition to the health duties I am transportation coordinator, receptionist, order supplies and and many other duties.
The new duty is health related. Checking students for head lice.
My questions are should my job description been revised and new contract given?
All the duties my employer said would be added to my position I already do except for one. My employer told me I would no longer have to do health related duties. I do coordinate the lice check, calling the parents to inform them of their child's situation.
Do I have any legal clout with this situation?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question.

Your employer has an absolute right to dictate what your job duties are, unless you have a contract which specifies your job duties and guarantees those terms of employment for a set period of time. Otherwise, your employment is "at will" and subject to modification or termination at any time.

Provided you are an at will employee, your employer can also require you to obtain training to prepare you for new job duties. However, when training relates directly to the performance of your job, as this sort of training clearly would, your employer typically must compensate you for that time.

I hope that you find this information helpful. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.

If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes moving forward.

Hello again,

I just wanted to followup with you to make sure that you did not have any further questions or concerns. For some unknown reason, the experts are not always getting replies or ratings (which is how we get credit for our work) that the customer thinks have gone through. In your case I have not yet received either. If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating, please let me know so that I can inform the site administrator.

In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue, if needed.

Very best wishes.