Infolawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping employers and employees.
11313492

Employment/Healthcare Law I was an employee of a 501(c)(3)

Customer Question

Employment/Healthcare Law I was an employee of a 501(c)(3) hospital in a small rural town of Virginia and terminated due to RIF. After my termination, I received a notice from the manager of the maintenance department that I would be arrested and charged
with trespassing if I entered any property owned by him to include the hospital. I’m not sure how he could own the hospital since it is one of several facilities operated by a healthcare corporation located in a major city in Virginia. Since the hospital is
a 501(c)(3) tax exempt organization that receives federal funds and is a hospital operated by a healthcare corporation, would such a threat of trespass be legal? Also, there was no exemption made for seeking medical treatment at the hospital. Since I have
business in that small rural town, this notice would seem to deny me access to emergency care under threat of arrest if I needed to go to the Emergency Department while in town. Is such a threat legal? Thank you
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 year ago.

You have a right to seek medical care and emergency care. Trespass applies to entering private property without consent and not entering to seek emergency care. The point is not to return to place of employment for any reason other than seeking medical care.