socrateaser, Lawyer
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
10097515

My fiancee, who is 63 years old suffered a stroke,amputation

Customer Question

My fiancee, who is 63 years old suffered a stroke,amputation and a fall while at the hospital. The doctor's don't believe he should be released, but he has no insurance his insurance was no longer effective as April 2015 therefore he can't go to a nursing home rehabilitation center like the doctors feel would give him the best chance to walk again,instead they want to send him home Can I refuse to take him out
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 1 year ago.

You have no legal obligation for someone who is not your spouse. You can absolutely refuse to take any responsibility for his care. If he has no family, then the hospital will have to have county social services take over your finance's care.

If that happens, then you will be entirely out of the equation. I don't know what sort of financial issues this may raise, concerning your joint ownership or rental of property, etc. But, you can simply "walk away" from the situation, if you believe that is the best way to get your fiance' the necessary care he requires.

Note: I'm not making any moral judgment here. The law does not require that you accept responsibility for your fiance's care, so regardless of any emotional issues, you can simply refuse to get involved.

I hope I've answered your question. Please let me know if you require further clarification. And, please provide a positive feedback rating for my answer -- otherwise, I receive nothing for my efforts in your behalf.

Thanks again for using Justanswer!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am not wanting to walk away I love him Your answer didn't help me

You specifically asked if you could refuse to "take him out" of the hospital. From a legal viewpoint, you would be walking away from further responsibility, in order to obtain care for your fiance' that he cannot otherwise afford.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your question, but I answered you specifically, so now I don't know what you are trying to accomplish. Perhaps you can ask your question in a different manner, so that I can provide a more useful response.