Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

I work small firm in state. I have worked company years. We

Customer Question

I work for a small firm in Washington state. I have worked for the company for 21 years. We had an established policy for earning sick time and vacation time. In the past year the partners have changed and they changed the policy regarding sick and vacation time. I had 360 hours of sick time on the books. Their new policy is that we cannot have more than 160 on the books. They took the 340 hous I had on the books and reduced it to 160 hours. Can they legally do this?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately, they can do this eventhough it is quite unfair. An employer is not required to grant its employees sick time, but can do this as part of policy or agreement with the employees. If this is a policy, the employer can change the policy at any time with no input from the employees, regrettably. If there is a written agreement, then the employer can only change the terms of the agreement including the accumulation of sick time with the consent of the other parties to the agreement, with the consent of the employees or the employees’ representatives.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is a written office benefits chart constitute a written policy? Or would ithavwtobe apart of a written agreement with the employee?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry- have to be

Regrettably, benefits chart does not constitute a written agreement.