Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.
60109343

Can a company that offers a service deny an individual

Customer Question

Can a company that offers a service deny an individual access to this service without reasonable cause.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome. While I appreciate your frustration, private business owners have a right to choose whom they do business with. The only exception would be if service was denied on the basis of a legally protected trait such as race or religion, in which case it becomes a civil rights issue. Otherwise, there is nothing unlawful about denying service for any reason, fair or unfair and regardless of how remote in time. I am sorry. I hope this answers your question. If I can clarify anything at all just let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Your answer is not reasonable if you live in Oregon. You cannot, even under federal law, deny a person service because of race creed, national origin, color, sexual orientation, or age. Case in point, a bakery in Oregon denied, on religious grounds, a gay couple a wedding cake. Results the bakery was put out of business and the bakery owners had to pay $140,000.00 in restitution to the gay couple.
Although the circumstances involving the denial to use the particular service, in this case, has no real merit for denying service;.it could easily be construed that I was denied use of the service because of my age(73) and the subsequent factors that come from being old, as well as, being over educated, and will off. Note that several businesses in the area in question provide this health service and I use these other companies services without question. You get the $5.00 but forget the other charge,

I'm not sure why you say my answer is unreasonable because you are agreeing with me--it is illegal for a business to deny service on the basis of a legally protected trait. Sexual orientation is a legally protected trait, as is age. If you can prove that you're ere denied services specifically because of how old you are then you would want to talk to an attorney as you may have a civil rights claim. But the key is that you can prove this unlawful discriminatory motive. I hope this helps.