Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience
10285032

I work in Austin, TX. I have a supervisor attempting to

Customer Question

I work for USPS in Austin, TX. I have a supervisor attempting to force me to work my scheduled days off (they are posted as such on the schedule that is posted in our office) Bear in mind our office has an "overtime" list for employees that wish to work extra hours, including their scheduled days off. I am NOT on this list, however, have been working the extra 1-2hours per day that they have been forcing on me without complaint. I draw the line at forcing me in on my day off! Do they have the right to force me to come in on a scheduled day off?? My only other day off is Sunday, how am I to get appointments, etc. taken care of without a scheduled day off during the week? As a side note the union and its representatives have proved useless in the matter. Thank you.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

This all depends on your contract. If your contract provides for the overtime list, your supervisor cannot force you to work overtime contrary to the contract. this is grounds for a grievance with the union under the contract and grieve this. If the union is refusing to pursue the grievance as they are mandated to do under the contract, then this is an unfair labor practice and you would go to the National Labor Relations Board against the union for breach of your contract in refusing to properly represent you as required as part of your contract with them to represent you.

That is your only remaining recourse if the the union is not filing a grievance as they should.