Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  I provide employment and discrimination law advice in my own practice.
18572087

My employer keeps asking me to travel out of town and even

Customer Question

My employer keeps asking me to travel out of town and even state to work. I am currently a branch manager over a city in Alabama and Mississippi. Im not speaking about Mississippi. Since I am a company man and not with the union do I have a legal right to say "no" to the companys request?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

You can absolutely say 'no'. However, if this is part of your known duties and part of your job description, then you have to travel, and failure to do so could be seen as 'insubordination' and refusal to perform a lawful order. In that case the employer could terminate you 'for cause' and ensure that you are not able to receive benefits. Therefore you need to review your own documentation on how your position is defined and whether or not travel is listed as a necessity. If it is not, you have a stronger basis to refuse to travel and it would not be considered insubordinate behavior.

Sincerely,

Dimitry, Esq.