Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience
10285032

I used my personal email business 15 years. This was allowed

Customer Question

I used my personal email for company business for over 15 years. This was allowed and even put on the company's website. I have resigned and am forwarding emails to the company. They are accusing me of withholding crucial documents and of conversion, both untrue. They are also asking me to reply to all emails with a specific message . Can u advise?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

If they allowed you to use your personal email, with their knowledge, there is no conversion as long as you have turned over all material that belongs to the company back over to the company. They can make you respond to anyone seeking to do company business with a specific message if they no longer want you involved and if you are doing so they have no legitimate legal claim against you.

You need to send them a letter, not an email, informing them that they allowed you with their knowledge to use your personal email for company business and that you are not in possession of any company documents or information and have been forwarding all email correspondence regarding the company to the company and that you have done everything necessary to insure they receive their communications. Tell them if they do not cease and desist harassing you with their threats you will seek legal action including a restraining order to prevent further contact with you.

That is the best way to try to resolve the situation with the company.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do I have to forward to them every single company email I have done through my personal email address over the last 15 years?

Thank you for your reply.

You need to turn over any email in your possession pertaining to company business. If you do not have them for all 15 years you need to tell them that and just turn over what you have.