Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Years of experience in running a medium sized law firm.
7286322

I whistle blew on my manager. She is now singling me out in

Customer Question

I whistle blew on my manager. She is now singling me out in department. I go to lunch with team members in my department daily. Manager has given me written write up for returning late from lunch, but not staff who i leave and return from lunch with.Reprimand and writing me up for incidents that has never been policy or procedural. Writing false statements and documents. Gave me a written notice of intent to terminate after she was notified I wrote letter to CEO asking for help. These write ups all started after whistle blower incident.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note:This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this situation. Under California Labor Code Section 1102.5 et seq, a whistle-blower employee cannot be singled out for retaliation. If one feels that the write ups and other such actions is retaliation, then one has protection rights under the law. See HERE.

If the retaliation is real, then one may have a lawsuit. An employee may file a lawsuit in an appropriate court. The lawsuit must be filed within 2 years of the retaliatory action. It is a good idea to document all such retaliatory actions, and, get witnesses that may be able to testify in one's case.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Gentle Reminder: Use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith.