John, Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Exclusively practice labor and employment law.
71296933

If you are terminted in the state of arkansas does the human

Customer Question

If you are terminted in the state of arkansas does the human resources dept have to notify you and can they keep your pension if you have worked there for 25 years
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thanks for submitting your question today.My name is John. I have over 13 years of legal and consulting experience in this area. I’m happy to assist you with your question today.

They cannot keep your pension under federal law. Either you have a traditional pension of formula amount per month (also known as a defined benefits pension ) or you have a 401k style pension where you and your employer contribute to an account that is all yours after some point (also known as a defined contribution plan). A defined benefit pension must totally vest to you at between 5 and 7 years of service, and a defined contribution plan totally vests to you at 3 to 6 years (and you are always totally vested in your contributions to the account. After these years of service you cannot lose your benefits absent some small exceptions. Your termination of employment does not divest you of your right to a pension. Thus human resources does not have the authority to and should not be notifying employees that the employer is keeping your pension. If that is a case you should immediately seek to sue the employer.

I believe this answers your question. However, if you need clarification or have follow-up questions regarding this matter, I will be happy to continue our conversation – simply reply to this answer. If you are otherwise satisfied with my response, please leave a positive rating as it is the only way I am able to get credit for my answers. Thank you, ***** ***** wish you all the best with this matter.

Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.

I am sending you this follow-up to determine if you require further assistance with your matter. I believe I have answered your question to the best of my abilities. I truly enjoy helping others with my knowledge and experience, and I believe I provide a valuable service. If you agree that my response was of value to you, please support my endeavor to share my knowledge by providing a positive rating. You have already been charged the full amount for your question. Providing a positive rating will not cost you any additional charge, but it will permit the website to credit me with answering your question. Otherwise, the website does not credit me with answering your question. Thanks.