Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  15 years practicing attorney
19958803

On 8/3/15 I received a cut while on the job as an

Customer Question

On 8/3/15 I received a cut while on the job as an independent subcontractor (have Indiana workers compensation waiver). I went to St. Vincent immediate care (at the hospital) to get stitches as it would not stop bleeding. Once there they started doing all kinds of tests, x-rays, mri, 2 vials of blood, etc. I told the nurse I did not want all this as I was self-employed and could not afford all the tests, I just wanted stitches. I left with two stitches to my knee, just two. No pain killers, nothing.
I just received the EOB from my insurance and was billed for almost $7,000.00 for all of the tests. (Our insurance carries a high deductible and they will not be paying any of the charges.)
Do I have any recourse on this other than trying to negotiate with the hospital billing dept?? None of this was necessary, other than the two stitches I came to get, but walked out with a $7,000 bill.
Thank you.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.

.

If you told the hospital that you didn't want the additional tests run, then legally they couldn't proceed with them as a person has the right to determine their own medical treatment, even against the advice of the medical care provider.

.

With that said, if they continued with the tests despite your refusal to agree, then you could dispute the services with the account administrator as something that you did not agree to pay for. When hospitals bill insurance companies, they always charge the highest rates that they possibly can and if you talk to the account administrator, it is extremely likely that they will agree to adjust the bill down as a cash pay account.

.

How much lower they will agree to go, I can't say..

.

.

thanks