Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  15 years practicing attorney
19958803

I had been working at Public Storage company in Northern VA,

Customer Question

I had been working at Public Storage company in Northern VA , I was fire without reason almost 6 months ago , please advise , thanks
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.

.

Were you under a written fixed term employment contract?

.

How long did you work there?

.

What is your legal question that I can help with tonight?

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was not under a written fixed term employment contract
I had been with the company for 12 years
I am using the public library computer and I have to leave it soon , could I again contact you tomorrow
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

Ok, unfortunately if you weren't under a fixed term employment contract, that would mean that you were an "at will" employee. What this means is that an employee can quit or an employer can fire or change the terms of employment (change hours, location, duties, pay, etc.) at any time for any or no reason at all.

.

While what the employer did was inequitable and unfair, it was not illegal. Wrongful termination only comes into play if you were terminated for being part of a protected class (gender, sexual orientation, age, disability, religion, national origin).

.

However, based on the length of your employment, you should be eligible for unemployment benefits.

.

I am very sorry that I don’t have better news, but please understand that I do have an ethical and professional obligation to provide customers with legally correct answers based on my knowledge and experience, even when I know the answer doesn’t make the customer happy...

.

.

thanks