Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience
10285032

I was into the office and was told my job eliminated today.

Customer Question

I was into the office and was told my job eliminated today. Iwas told that due to new up date in equipment, i work as a pharmacy technician, now i have there over 6 years i am 56 yrs old , and now i did not work that day. I was told that there were others, but it was only me. My question is i did not sign anything. Can i dispute that i see the company has adds on the different internet hiring befote i was lay off? Also, iam i qualified for a tech in training position? A,d too i have been there more than alot of the other employees
Thank you *****
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Legally, employment in Texas is deemed to be at will, which means that you can be fired for no reason at all or for any reason other than based only on your age/race/sex/disability/national origin. If you were the only one who was terminated and you are over 40, there is a potential that you have a claim here for discrimination based on age, since they are continuing to advertise to hire. So your recourse is you have to file a complaint with the EEOC against the employer for discrimination based on age.

The employer does not have to send you for a tech job, that is up to the employer. You need to file your complaint for discrimination against you based on your age as that is what it appears from your claims above.