CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
71563194

At my previous job I was harassed and neglected. I was made

Customer Question

At my previous job I was harassed and neglected. I was made to lift 500 tom2000 ponds off the concert daily for 11 years. There are zero lifting procedures in place and zero ergonomically correct equipment to help lift this weight. I quit the job at the end of 2012 because of severe pain and harassment. I thought I had lateral epicondylitis or arthritis but it was just the start of many levels of cervical spinal stenosis. I saw some orthopedic doctors who would not listen to me. I was put on lifting restrictions of 20 pounds at a time but the fact remains at the end of the day I still lifted 500 to 2000 pounds. I have many photos of what I was required to lift. I also have photos of the harassment I endured. To add to the problem the company I work for was dirty disorganized, the aisles are filled with debris and putting these parts away there were many trip Hazards. The bathrooms were frequently filthy and there was no place to eat other than the workstation I worked at.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.

Dear Customer,

I am very sorry to learn of your situation. Unfortunately as you are no longer employed by this job, you most likely do not qualify for worker's compensation benefits (this is the primary source of compensation for injured workers).

However, I do still recommend that you promptly meet with a disability attorney to discuss your case and see what benefits you do qualify for (SSDI or SSI may be viable alternatives, and I would recommend having a local attorney review your case before completely ruling out workman's comp.).

You can find local attorneys using the State and local Bar Association directories, or private directories such as www.AVVO.com; www.FindLaw.com; or www.Martindale.com (I personally find www.AVVO.com to be the most user friendly).