John, Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Exclusively practice labor and employment law.
71296933

Is it ok institution to put a new employee, one still on

Customer Question

Is it ok for an institution to put a new employee, one still on probation, in charge of a psychiatric hospital unit that consists of sever behavioral problem patients? The charge nurse was a RN for 4 months and put in charge due to lack of staffing! Of course, there was an incident and the nurse got terminated! Just wondering, on behalf of that RN
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thanks for submitting your question today. My name is John. I have over 13 years of legal and consulting experience in this area. I’m happy to assist you with your question today.

If the nurse weren't a new hire and not yet entitled to union protection this certainly would have been a matter the union contested and probably won because it was an unjust termination. But that is not the case. The employee is at will at this point meaning the employer can terminate for virtually any issue it desires...even if it is unfair. And there is no state law that mandates any level of staffing or experience for the charge nurse, which is generally why the lowest seniority person gets stuck with the position.

I believe this answers your question. However, if you need clarification or have follow-up questions regarding this matter, I will be happy to continue our conversation – simply reply to this answer. If you are otherwise satisfied with my response, please leave a positive rating as it is the only way I am able to get credit for my answers. Thank you, ***** ***** wish you all the best with this matter.

Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.

I am sending you this follow-up to determine if you require further assistance with your matter. I believe I have answered your question to the best of my abilities. I truly enjoy helping others with my knowledge and experience, and I believe I provide a valuable service. If you agree that my response was of value to you, please support my endeavor to share my knowledge by providing a positive rating. You have already been charged the full amount for your question. Providing a positive rating will not cost you any additional charge, but it will permit the website to credit me with answering your question. Otherwise, the website does not credit me with answering your question. Thanks.