Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.
60109343

Our company is engaged in performing quality control of

Customer Question

Our company is engaged in performing quality control of inspection services and monitoring
as requested by client/contractor of construction work in New York City. Our t/contractor instructs us to submit Inspection Reports of our inspection services and monitoring for our invoice and billing to them. Unless these are submitted, our client/contractor cannot pay us or delayed payment.
To expedite timely payment, we instruct our Inspectors for the prompt submission of their
Inspection Reports. Frequent instructions and reminders to our Inspectors for the
prompt submission of their Inspection Report but sill some are adamant in following this
instruction. Our company depends mostly on our invoice and billing submitted to the client/customer.
Is it lawful or unlawful for us to hold the paycheck of our employees for their non-compliance temporarily until such time they have submitted their Inspection Reports?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question.

As an employer, you have many different tools at your disposal to get employees to perform their work in the manner you would like. You can lower their pay moving forward, you can reduce their responsibilities, you can give them less desirable, you can even fire them. But basically the one thing you cannot do is withhold their earned wages. That is the fastest way that you can get into legal trouble as an employer, as the law zealously protects an employee's right to get paid for their time. So, do anything but what you have proposed as a management tactic here.

I hope that you find this information helpful. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.

If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes moving forward.