John, Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Exclusively practice labor and employment law.
71296933

I was red by a company in 2000, considered resigned in Apr.

Customer Question

I was hired by a company in 2000, considered resigned in Apr. of this year , and inquired about hiring back on yesterday. My question is this: on being originally hired, my driving record did not effect my ability to be hired on, even v. ia a background check. Through numerous I.D. renewals, my driving record did not come into question - now company is saying they have changed the eligibility to be hired based on driving record. How can this be? It never was an issue before. Thank you.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thanks for submitting your question today.My name is John. I have over 13 years of legal and consulting experience in this area. I’m happy to assist you with your question today.

Employer's generally have the right to change their policies at will. There are some exceptions. Is the employer unionized? Is the "policy" only being applied to you (in other words are they using a supposed p0licy change to only deny you employment whereas they do not enforce such a policy against other new hires)?