Ray, Employment lawyer
Experience:  30 years in Employment law
8534270

I am receving unemployment bebefits in new jersey. I start

Customer Question

hi
I am receving unemployment bebefits in new jersey. I start school in new York, can I take Medicaid health benefits in new York, since I need health insurance for school? or do I have to file in new jersey
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. I am Ray and will be the expert helping you today.

You will have to notify NJ UI here is you are moving and going to school.You can sign up from NY medicaid and /or ObamaCare.If you can get medicaid here it would be free.You are going to have trouble keeping the UI benefits going--you have to swear you are an NJ resident and available for work.Just and fyi here they will deny you UI if they know you are going to school full time or moved and didn't tell them.

But you can and should sign up for medicaid where you are going to school assuming you intend to reside there in NY.

I appreciate the chance to help you tonight.I wish you the best in school.Thanks again.

Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.

http://www.njunemployment.co/eligibility

These are the requirements for receiving UI benefits.

You also must be ready, willing to take on new work and must apply to a minimum of two jobs per week.

To keep on receiving weekly unemployment benefits, NJ unemployment requirements state that you must file a ‘weekly claim’ by doing the following:

Meet all of the NJ unemployment requirements listed above.
Apply for at least two jobs each week.
Get in touch with the New Jersey unemployment office to file your ‘weekly claim’. You can do this via phone or online.

Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.

Thanks again.