wallstreetfighter
wallstreetfighter, Employment Lawyer
Experience:  14 years exp, General counsel for National Corp. firms, Hostos College instructor, Represented employees in discrimination lawsuits
16356563

I am working at a major bank through a small consulting

Customer Question

I am working at a major bank through a small consulting firm. When I joined the consulting firm, I signed an agreement which included the following statement: employee agrees not to enter into any direct or indirect contracts/relationships to provide services
to clients while employed by , and for a period of four months after leaving without prior written consent of . I have an offer from another department from the same bank for a contract position. My current consulting firm does not have a client relationship
with this department. My question is if I resign from the consulting firm and take up the contract position with the other department, is it considered a conflict of interest?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  wallstreetfighter replied 1 year ago.

This is a complicated issue, however, if you quit your current position and work for the employer in another department, the consulting company would be able to claim this is a breach of the contract, even if they have no direct relationship with the department, as they are the same company

if the clients name is ***** ***** as the original consulting agreement, this would be a problem, and you may need to try to negotiate a release with the consulting firm.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have already resigned from the consulting firm and taken up the contract with the other department. What can I do now? The consulting company has approx. 100 employees and the bank has approx. 50,000 employees. The consulting firm has contracts with individual departments as they only provide consulting services to those departments. What are my options?

you should not do anything at this point, and if the former employer tries to bring legal action, at that point, you can try to settle with them, typically they would not sue you,

they usually will try to settle with you for some sum of money,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
can they make me leave my job at the new department?

that would be difficult, as the non compete agreement was only for four months, and they are a consulting company, not a direct competitor,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How much money can would they request to settle for in terms of my annual salary?

they could ask for 4 months of commission they would have received, or more

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
HOw much should I settle for?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
can they hold back my vacation pay for over 30 days?

it is hard to state here, I would see what they ask for, and negotiate down

in most States an employer cannot withhold earned wages

you could file a labor complaint for the owed pto if they do not pay it

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks!

good luck, and if satisfied with our service please provide us with positive feedback, thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh, my position was filled by another consultant from the same firm. So, I don't think they are losing any revenue. Can they still try to sue or ask for sum of money?

they could, but need to prove actual damages

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How much time do they have to sue me?

usually 1-3 years depending on your State statute of limitations,