Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.
60109343

My employer discussa disciline action with another employee

Customer Question

My employer discussa disciline action with another employee before discussing it with me. I was called into my supervisors office and he imeaditly went and brought this employee in to the meeting and then started to discuss the issue. he left the office door open and as he was speaking other employees walked in and started to listen. I ask why the employee was there and the supervisor said it was his right to bring in other employees..This is a union workplace.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question.

There is no law which requires employers to keep disciplinary matters private. So, unless there is a clause in your union contract which specifically prescribes that right, you would not have any grounds for legal action. If there is a clause in your union contract to this effect, your recourse would be to file a grievance through your union representative. While your employer's conduct was certainly unprofessional, it would not give rise to any other legal remedies based on what you have described.

I hope that you find this information helpful and am genuinely sorry if it is not exactly what you were hoping to hear. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.

If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes moving forward.

Hello again,

I just wanted to followup with you to make sure that you did not have any further questions or concerns. For some unknown reason, the experts are not always getting replies or ratings (which is how we get credit for our work) that the customer thinks have gone through. In your case I have not yet received either. If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating, please let me know so that I can inform the site administrator.

In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue, if needed.

Very best wishes.