John, Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Exclusively practice labor and employment law.
71296933

Can I receive unemployment if I walk away (quit) under DC

Customer Question

Can I receive unemployment if I walk away (quit) under DC statue - due to stress along with what I feel is bias and unfair treatment. I also don't feel comfortable going to the companies HR department because I feel they don't have my best interest. The person treating me this way is a partner.
I feel he is racist and I am the only non-white person working under him. He is always shooting me low blows and he looks at me p and down which gives me the creeps and is so inappropriate.
He made a rude statement about the color of my pants stating I am wearing a loud blue. Yet there are others in the office that wear lime green and he never addresses them about what they.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thanks for submitting your question today.My name is John. I have over 13 years of legal and consulting experience in this area. I’m happy to assist you with your question today.

You have a fair probability of receiving unemployment if you resign, but I will not deceive you to thinking it is guaranteed. If the employer disputes your claim, you will essentially have to prove that you were being discriminated against to an administrative law judge. So think about it this way - do you have documents, witnesses, or even a chronology of somewhat indisputable events to show that you were treated adversely to the white persons working there? If yes then you will make a case and show that the resignation was for good cause attributable to the employer...if not your resignation will be deemed voluntary and benefits denied.

I believe this answers your question. However, if you need clarification or have follow-up questions regarding this matter, I will be happy to continue our conversation – simply reply to this answer. If you are otherwise satisfied with my response, please leave a positive rating as it is the only way I am able to get credit for my answers. Thank you, ***** ***** wish you all the best with this matter.