Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience
10285032

This has to do with construction workers comp. Can u help. I

Customer Question

This has to do with construction workers comp. Can u help. I am a painting contractor in Tampa area. How does one go about securing work when a builder I work for requires a stand alone wc policy(no problem), but I have so much work that I need subcontractors. The problem:Florida law states I cannot subcontract more than 20% of my payroll. I only have 3 employees. 20% of that payroll is $400 per week. Thats not enough . Is there another way to obtain workers comp and be able to subcontract 60 or 70 % or more?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Unfortunately, the only other way around this would be that you would have to insist on any subcontractor you are using to provide their own proof of workers compensation coverage that you would then provide to your clients. Other than mandating that the subs provide their own proof of workers compensation insurance, I am afraid your only other recourse is one I am sure you are trying to avoid and that is to hire the subs on as employees of your company to provide them coverage.