Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.
10707909

Two of our physicians recently left our office to start

Customer Question

Two of our physicians recently left our office to start their own practice. The amount of Medical Records are extremely large. The physicians have offered to have their Office Manager come over once a week and pick up the medical records, as patients are not wanting to come pick their charts up.
I feel we should make a listing of all medical records that we are releasing (with signed medical release in file) and have the Office Manager sign that she is taking possession of the listing of medical records, however, does this person need to be bonded or is there another form the patient would need to sign, making them aware that their records are being picked up by the other medical office??
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.

Hello

This is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard.

I suggest that you notified the physicians that you have no problem with releasing the records, however, the patients as individuals must provide you with a written request. And that it can be something as simple as below

________________________ (Name of Patient) hereby grant permission to Name of your office to release any and all medical files to Name of the Physician. And I understand those records will be transported by Name of Staff retrieving the records.

The Patient needs to sign and date it and you keep the release.

Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.

Anytime a patient wants medical records they need to sign the release. And also since they are not being released to the patient specifically such a Release as above will be in HIPAA compliance.

Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if you have other questions in this regard. Keep in mind, I can only answer and provide information for what you ask. I do not know what you need to know, unless you tell me. Please rate positive as this is how I get credit for my time and information.

Thank you