Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.
60109343

I was off and my official last day was July 31, 2015. I was

Customer Question

I was laid off and my official last day was July 31, 2015. I was given a lump sum payment for separating and a lump sum payment for unused vacation days. NC DES says that I am not eligible for any UI until those payments are completed by weeks (my lump sum for separation represented 24 weeks.) I was under the impression I still qualified for payment now based on your article. Can you advise? Greg
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question.

I'm not sure what you previously read as there are many different attorneys who answer customer questions on this site. However, I can unfortunately tell you that the response you received from NC DES is correct. In NC, the receipt of severance or accrued vacation will operate to disqualify an employee from unemployment benefits for the number of weeks wages that money represents. It may be that you read a response intended for a customer of a different state, or that you read a response written when the law may have been different. But I can tell you with certainty that severance and vacation do operate to temporarily disqualify a claimant in NC from collecting UI benefits.

I hope that you find this information helpful and am genuinely sorry if it is not what you were hoping to hear. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.

If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes moving forward.