Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.
10707909

I would like to know how to handle a situation. I fired an

Customer Question

I would like to know how to handle a situation. I fired an employee two years ago for stealing and theft from my retail store. The problem is she was hired by a new store two doors down from my store and when i am not in the store, she comes into my store to chat with my employees and look around my store(she works now for a competing gallery). She only does this when i am not there. My question is, if i see her on the sidewalk, can i pull her aside and ask her not to come in my store? I can't tell my new employees she was a thief and i can't tell her new employer she is a thief..even though he has said she is making "mistakes" with the cash register.
So again to clarify, what rights to i have to ask her not to come into my store.
thank you,d
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.

Hello

This is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard.

Yes, you can tell here she is not welcome in your store. I suggest you tell her that if she comes into your store, your employees have been instructed to call the police and have her removed as a trespasser. You also should consider instructing your employees to call the police if she comes in. You do not need to give them a reason why she is not permitted in your store.

Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.

Also, if the value of the theft equates to a felony you can still have her prosecuted, if you have evidence of the thefts.