Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.
10707909

I have an employee that is constantly in financial need an

Customer Question

I have an employee that is constantly in financial need an and frankly abuses the benevolence of our company by continually asking for loans while refusing to work their required full time hours and turning down overtime. It seems if she is not granted
another loan exception (we require 6 months between company loans) or if we do not excuse her from overtime, she mentions she just feels like taking a right turn off of a bridge or other comments to that effect. I truly feel that she is pushing to get her
way but of course I can't be sure. My question is, do we have a legal obligation to require her to get help?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.

Hello

This is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard

There is no legal requirement. But if you have a policy then that can be applied - but policies need to be applied across the board and I suggest it may be difficult to ascertain who needs help and who does not. So you may not want to have such a policy.

Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.

But you have no legal obligation to require she seeks help. You can make a suggestion that maybe she should consider some sort of counseling.

Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.

Please note that I can only provide information for what you ask. In that regard, if you have other questions or need clarification, please post them here. Otherwise, I appreciate your Positive Rating as that is how I get credit for my time and information.