Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.
60109343

I worked years, the last ten in management, when Vons was

Customer Question

I worked for Vons for 29 years, the last ten in management, when Vons was bought by Albertsons they sold off many stores, mine was one of them. I did not have a choice to go, In the process I lost close to $35,000 in sick leave, and did not receive a pro-rated bonus, although my store hit all targets. Now Haggen is closing my store and I will be unemployed. I have heard that Haggen planned to sell certain stores before they even opened. Do I have any recourse for lost wages? Am I entitled to a pension?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome. I am very sorry you are being let go. Did you have a pension plan through your employer?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you.

You would not typically be divested of your pension simply because your company changed ownership. However, if you have not vested and are laid off, you would not be entitled to any pension money. Basically, the same rules apply to pension entitlement whether your employer changed ownership or not.

As for sick leave, an employee does not have a legal right to be compensated for unused sick leave, so the fact you are being laid off with unused sick leave and not being paid for that time would not violate any law. Vacation and PTO time is treated differently. Your employer needs to pay you the cash value of your unused days upon your separation of employment.

I hope this answers your questions. Please feel free to let me know if you have any further concerns.