Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
Experience:  Employment Law Expert
11068102

My ex husband & I were married over 13 yrs.. He had worked

Customer Question

My ex husband & I were married over 13 yrs.. He had worked for the MTA for over 35yrs... He never re-married, & neither did I... He never collected his pension as he got violently sick & passed away sometime in 2009..( I recently found out.. I called the MTA & written about his 35 yrs? Where did his pensio. Go?.. Because if I died b4 him.. He wld also be entitled to my pension as I am a postal worker of 30 yrs... I recently went to social security.& they acknowledge me as his wife because he or I never remarried & him & I were married for almost 14yrs.. How do I find out about his pension..as they are giving me the run around.. And today in the New York post...page 6 & 26 they talk about the city ripping the benefactors of city workers..( do I need to get a lawyer for a court order?..MTA officials who answer the phones told me it is like an annuity.. They can leave a pension to whom ever.. My ex started in 1971/ ( it was a pension)..never heard such a thing...and then I saw page 6 & 26 of the ny post today.. How the city is picking the benefactors pickets for years & giving all of us the run around!
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Further, if you get a message asking if you want to do additional services like a telephone call that message is automatically generated by the website and is not sent from me. I, like most of the experts in the Legal categories, do not do telephone calls due to issues with State Bar rules and other concerns.

Unfortunately, many of your questions are either rhetorical or none of us can answer because we don't have the specifics of what went on with the plan.

I can explain the issues that are going to arise with the divorce and the retirements, what should have been done and what will need to be done now if they weren't, as well as other information that you will need but unfortunately I can't tell you what happened with the money. No one can tell you that without doing specific discovery.