Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  I provide employment and discrimination law advice in my own practice.
18572087

After being put on a 60 day work furlough, I was recently

Customer Question

After being put on a 60 day work furlough, I was recently laid off from a job I've had for nearly 10 years. I was always had the understanding is collect 1 weeks severance for every year of employment, which is what the company is still agreeing to. Since my salary was in the 6-figure range, it's a decent sum.
Here's my problem; after an initial conversation with the head of HR, I was left with the impression I'd at least be able to freelance under the severance agreement, but the HR head hadn't read the new agreement. With this in mind, I acted in good faith, and took the work furlough instead of just accepting a lay off. Now I'm being told the agreement not only doesn't allow me to freelance, it doesn't allow me to do any kind of work for the full term of the payout, which is every twice a month over the span of nearly 3 months.
The problem with this is that I've already secured a long-term freelance project that could last until Febrary of next year. I have not received or signed the agreement, but this sounds odd and somewhat illegal to me. I don't want to quit my freelance assignment, but I'm not sure what to do.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

Let me check a few things for you if I may. Did you have any sort of a moonlighting clause limitation in your employment contract with this employer? Also, there was no limitation on work within this severance, correct?