Attorney2020
Attorney2020, Lawyer
Experience:  I have significant experience in employment law.
63724254

I have a crazy situation with an "ex-employer" who is

Customer Question

I have a crazy situation with an "ex-employer" who is sending personal information and attacks to my current employer undermining my current employers confidence and I don't know what to do.
Here is the scenario: I resigned my position with previous employer (not the one harassing me) but they would not accept it at the time and the harassing employer would never provide an executed agreement between us (although I signed one they never executed it). So I remained with my previous employer.
The harassing employer then called my previous employer stating I had gone to work for them and thus I was terminated from them and also the harassing employer the same day.
I am now working for another employer within the same industry and the harassing employer is now calling them and sending them documentation in regards ***** ***** termination of me calling me a liar, etc..
Please help
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Attorney2020 replied 1 year ago.

The harassing employer is making defamatory statements towards you that could trigger liability for damages caused. In Georgia, the elements of a defamation claim are:

1. a false statement about the plaintiff;
  2. communication of the statement to a third party in the absence of a special privilege to do so;
  3. fault of the defendant amounting at least to negligence; and
  4. harm to the plaintiff, unless the statement amounts to per se defamation. See Smith v. Stewart, 660 S.E.2d 822, 828 (Ga. Ct. App. 2008).

Perhaps contacting a local Georgia employment attorney to send a cease and desist letter would temper this harasser. If not, you could potentially sue this harasser for defamation.

I hope that helped. Please ask any follow-up questions. Please rate my answer so that I may be credited for my time. I thank you in advance for your cooperation. Thank you.