ScottyMacEsq, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed Texas General Practice Attorney
19487448

If my manager told my personal medical information to other

Customer Question

if my manager told my personal medical information to other employees and managers and my health issue is all over my job site and people are looking at me and talking about me to the point that it is hard for me to keep my head up because of the awful things my manager is saying to others about me. The reason I told him about my medical problem was because my manager wanted me to do a job that involved heavy lifting and I could not perform that duty that particular day because of my medical problem but I could do other job duties in my department. I told him that I hadn't told anyone and I was confiding in him since he is my manager and he needs to know why I couldn't perform the job duty that night. I have informed Labor Relations and Human Resource about the issue but no reprimanding of the manager or anything , they only just jotted down some notes. He is still talking about me everytime I go to the bathroom. Do I have grounds to sue the company for breach of confidentiality of medical records according to HIPA regulations?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  ScottyMacEsq replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Can you be a bit more specific about what you shared with him? (a bit more about the nature of the medical information shared with him)?