Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience
10285032

What is the success rate of lawsuits by students against the

Customer Question

Hi David,
What is the success rate of lawsuits by students against the institution, more specifically against MCPHS (fomerly mass. college of pharmacy and health sciences). In my case I believe that I was handicapped at the beginning of the semester due to a fault of the school, and the professor/head of the department being unwilling to award opportunity to improve my final grade, when the test scores indicate a passing knowledge. And also mailing me letters stating that I had been put on academic probation, and could resume in the spring...which would delay my graduation by an entire year. This is an online graduate program for nurse practitioner. I should be 9 months or less from graduation.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Having handled cases against schools for claims of not providing proper instruction or not properly grading students, I can tell you the courts will "refuse to stand in the shoes of an educational institution when it comes to presentation of curriculum or grading." The courts will only step in when the conduct of the school violates the quasi contract with the student by not following the terms in the student handbook or when the school discriminates against the student only based on the age/race/se/disability/national origin.

I am afraid that a court will not change a grade or how a professor grades. So unless a student can prove the grade was based only on their age/race/sex/disability/national origin, the court will not intervene because a student believes they should have received a higher grade for any other reason and that matter is solely at the discretion of the teacher and dean of the school.