Infolawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping employers and employees.
11313492

I was fired due to too much time off related to a medical

Customer Question

I was fired due to too much time off related to a medical condition that I have been fighting. Existing depression/anxiety when I took the job which I divulged to my employer. After employment, I was diagnosed with migraines and bipolar 2. I ended taking days off due to the migraines and not "being able to get out of bed" due to the depression/anxiety/bipolar 2. I constantly kept my employer up to date on my status and we have multiple verbal conversations that they were willing to work with me while I worked with my doctors to get my meds adjusted and this whole process figured out. Last Monday, they fired me for missing too many days. Do I have any legal recourse?
I live in IL.
Tim
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 year ago.

Hello

Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 year ago.

You have a case you can pursue where employer violated internal policy, discriminated due to disability, retaliated/refused leave, and/or terminated because of this reason. You can pursue this normally through a lawyer reaching out to attempt to settle out of court, and then expanding the action through the eeoc and court action in most instances.