Ray, Employment lawyer
Experience:  30 years in Employment law
8534270

I'm trying to figure out if the irs throws out W2 forms

Customer Question

Hello I'm trying to figure out if the irs throws out W2 forms after every 7 to 10 years how would you get forms that you really need from those past years?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. I am Ray and will be the expert helping you today.Per the IRS , tax returns and related documents are destroyed after 7 years. After that point, you can obtain a "transcript", or summary of the line items in your return, but not the actual return or any of the attachments (like W2s and the like).

Unless you made copies of the returns yourself the IRS no longer has them. Unfortunately the IRS places the burden to keep copies on the tax payer if you need them for these time periods.Some times the tax preparer will keep copies that's another possible source of old returns here.

You can also get a summary of your return but not the actual documents as IRS does not keep them past seven tears.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Please let me know if you have more follow up.Thanks again.

Reference

http://www.answers.com/Q/How_long_does_the_IRS_keep_your_tax_records